Missionary Positions: Doing it by doing nothing.
We’ve each, to some degree, developed the socially acceptable self (the one that talks about the weather and how work is going and how the kids are doing) and hidden the real self (the one that says gray days make them sad and work is fleeting compared to your passion and the kids are slipping away because you’re never there).
Strutting our socially acceptable selves seems especially common among believers, where we feel the pressure to make disciples of all nations, and teach them the ways, and have the joy, joy, joy, joy down in our hearts.
But you know what I discovered?
In my effort to make disciples of my nonbelieving friends, I identified them as nonbelieving rather than simply my friend.
In my effort to teach them the ways, I told them the ways and disagreed with theirs.
In my effort to have that joy, joy, joy in my heart, I hidden the sad, sad, sadness that sometimes creeps in.
I was douchey. And completely unrelatable. (‘Cause, really. Who wants
to relate to a douche?)
So on my calendar, and in my heart, I’ve decreed a do-nothing day
mentality all day every day. Because when I see my friends as separate from their beliefs, they feel accepted. When I stop trying to convince people of my beliefs, they feel at ease. (Quite contrary to my get-paid-to-do-this mission of apologetics, by the way.) And when I share my sufferings with others, they feel safe to do the same.
In other words, my mission is to do nothing. Just be.
Amen sista.
No comments:
Post a Comment