Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day :)

It's about mid-way through my third day of this sobriety-kick. Normally three days without drinking isn't that big of a deal, but now that I'm thinking about it and focusing on not drinking, it's been a little challenging. For example, today is absolutely gorgeous. A little chilly, but the sun's shining, and it's Friday in Pullman. Meaning...day drinking. Duh. The roommates are starting at two (one hour to nap the bagel bar off), and then tomorrow is Monopoly date dash. Monopoly is the famed biad date dash (two frats involved), but half of Greek row ends up going. It's a day drinking extravaganza...I went last year and had the time of my life. In addition, there's a block party for my street, among other things going on that day. Finally, Sunday (which is also Easter, mind you) is our final pledge class open-to-close (you stay at the bar from open to close, literally). Annnd then there you go. That would've been my weekend. I, however, will be driving home in a couple hours and spending the weekend with my family. It's been the first time that I've been with them for Easter since we moved from Illinois when I was in high school. It used to be a huge event--all the cousins and extended family would gather at my grandparents house for ham and delicious food--but I stopped joining the celebration after the move. Juuust a little rebel. Anyways, it'll be nice to spend time with the family and have a low-stress and simple weekend.

I want to mention that I'm not trying to isolate my friends in this process. In fact, many of them are extremely supportive and understanding of me doing this. Last night, I hung out with my roommates and some other friends as they were drinking in our living room. I didn't feel weird because I wasn't drinking (not that they were especially getting drunk though), and we had some great conversations that didn't revolve around gossip or television. And people are curious about why I've stopped, which has given me the opportunity to talk about some of my reasons doing this.

All in all, life's good :).

No comments:

Post a Comment